Monday 26 January 2009

Is This the End?


Oh well, apologies for not posting for weeks, but I like to be an upbeat, optimistic person, and everything has been so terrible recently that I just wanted to hide and cry. But I’ve resolved to be upbeat EVEN ABOUT THE BAD THINGS.
Well, before Christmas there was a huge rush to finish work for this company, which made me quite optimistic that we’d all keep our jobs and everything would be fine, etc. But there was a huge meeting a week ago and we were told we were all ‘being let go’. A few people are staying on, in case things get better, but not me. And I’ve only been with this company three years so I will not get much redundancy.
I’ve been frantically looking for work since, but the problem is that it’s expensive living in London, so I can’t just work in a sandwich shop or something. And meanwhile, it’s weird going round the shops and seeing how cheap everything is (that I can’t afford to buy). It’s like how people describe a tsunami: this weird thing happens of the sea retreating. And then there are all these huge fish flapping in pools, and you think; ‘Wow! Free treats and bargains!’ And you don’t realise what a horrible thing is coming over the horizon.
Incidentally, what IS going to happen? Does anyone know? Will all the shops shut? Will armies of grey-faced unemployed be trudging along the motorways? Will money become worthless? (In which case, I’ll be happy, as my overdraft will be meaningless.)
Rache has decided to go and live in Greece. Vasilius has found her a job working in a cafĂ© run by another cousin of his, and she says she doesn’t care if it doesn’t work out with him. All Greek men are so gorgeous (in her opinion) that she’ll just find another one. She was wondering if I’d like to have her evil cat, Oskar, but I said No! She’s just going to release him on to the streets if I don’t take him, as she reckons there will be too many cats in animal shelters and he doesn’t stand a chance there.
It feels like the end of so many things,
Anyhoo, I’m going to post every few days now, filling you in on what happened over Christmas etc. So no more long long gaps.

6 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Welcome back!

Cow feels so sad, not only for Oskar being turned out homeless to starve, but the same (basically) done to sweet Scones.

Topiary does not know the future. It does seem as though with everything else getting marked down, RENTS should also come down, or be able to be bargained and negotiated with landlords to a lower level.

Apparently many in London start squatting in abandoned flats (perhaps an option?) (Hopefully it won't come to that!)

Cow is so sorry this happened but is going to try to remain upbeat for Scones and send her best wishes for finding alternate employment expeditiously!

Moo!

The Topiary Cow said...

One more thought...

Just wondering if Scones could take Oskar and then take him to the shelter. Even if he is just euthanized there, it seems to be kinder than have him put out on the street with no one to feed him....

These are difficult situations indeed....

Cow feels so sad about Scones job and poor Oskar...

Scones is welcome to come to the Land of Topiary for job hunting!

Moo!

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow blogged about you on her blog. Perhaps someone out there has a job!

Moo!

Kevin Musgrove said...

Sadly, I can't offer anything more constructive but good luck Scones. Hope things work out soon.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Scones. Hope you find a silver lining soon.

Fondest

L
xxx

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, thank you so much for your lovely remarks. I persuaded Rachel to take Oskar to the Cats Protection League because they promise not to put cats down, so maybe he's got a lovely new home - or if not, is in a cushy little cat kennels thingy.
I suppose all any of us can do is just survive this recession and hope we can rebuild everything later. I might be driven to squatting I suppose. It sounds like some of the houses available are wonderful luxury places. And, of course, every time I see Glennhe goes on about how I should come down to his farm in the country. Love from scones
Dear Kevin Musgrove, thank you so much. So kind of you to be sympathetic and write to me. Love from scones
Dear miggins, lovely to hear from you again, too, and thank you so much! I feel so lucky to have such lovely people dropping in to this blog. Love from scones