Tuesday 23 September 2008

Baclava Love


Rache rang me very excited saying that Vasilius, the unhappily-married Greek shopkeeper she met on holiday has just sent her a postcard (with a donkey on it) saying he is coming to London to see her. I can’t see that this is exciting at all, especially as Rachel read THE BOOK on Saturday, and seemed at the time to completely take in all it said about having nothing to do with married men. (The book said that, statistically, the only time a married man is likely to leave his wife for you is in the first three months of your relationship. After that, there’s no chance. And anyhoo, married men are an all-round bad bet in the romantic stakes.) Her reply was that she’s only known him three weeks (or 5 days if you just count the days she spent with him), so she’s a long way off three months. And anyway she’s not sure she wants him to leave his family.
I just feel v.sorry for Vasilius’s wife, who looked about twice his age, was shaped like a bolster-cushion, and had a sad, bitter look on her wrinkly face. And spent her whole time scuffling around sorting boxes, stacking shelves, cooking etc etc while Vasilius flirted with the female customers and gave them free slices of baclava.

3 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Oooh. Baclava. Yum.

Cow agrees with Lovely Scones that Rache is wasting her time.

But alas, sometimes people have to learn the hard way....Topiary is just glad Scones is way too smart to fall for that "my wife doesn't understand me" line.

Moo!

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow would like to agree it is sometimes hard to resist married men, there are so many of them, and they are so available, and so many of them are SO good-looking.

But somehow the strength must be found. Or it does just waste more and more time which could have been spent looking for the Mr. Right.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, well, I haven't ever gone out with a married man because the ones that have tried it on with me have always been so sleazy and obviously not serious (e.g. my boss at my first job). But I suppose if one was really romantic and really courted me I suppose I might feel differently...
Rache has ALWAYS gone for married or otherwise unattainable men, which makes me feel she just doesn't really want to have a proper relationship. Or maybe she hates herself. Love scones x