Thursday 25 September 2008

The Ebay Catnip Conspiracy Theory


My latest resolution is to reduce my scary debts, so I’ve been trying to sell stuff on ebay. I don’t know if you’ve tried this, but before you can even START there’s so much fiddly stuff with paypal you just feel like resting your face on the keyboard and screaming. Once 2p and 8.9p or whatever have been put in your account, you’d think it would get easier, wouldn’t you? But it doesn’t.
I put two pairs of shoes and a dress that I didn’t like much on there, and they all went through the auction process etc, and made a decentish amount of money, but then I got an email from the MAN who had bought them. Why? Are they the sort of thing transsexuals would want to wear? This is so worrying!
And he said he couldn’t pay for two weeks and would I bear with him. So I said I would, and then of course I wandered about on ebay, spending all the money he may possibly be going to give me on perfume and mascara and a mini-brush for my handbag. So I’m now even worse in debt than before. Oh, and I also bought a catnip cushion for Mirabelle because all the catnip thingies I’ve ever bought her don’t seem to work properly . They hardly smell of anything. I’m beginning to think there’s an international dud-catnip conspiracy, with millions being made from selling snipped-up hay (or tumbledrier fluff) instead of catnip. (After all, who ever looks inside a catnip toy?)

7 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Yes and don't even mention how little you are left with after paying eBay's fees and PayPal's fees.

Cow stopped selling things online and just takes them to a neighborhood consignment shop. Don't know if they have those in your area though.

Cow laughing at your spending all the money online and has had the same experience. Alas.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Oh dear! I hadn't realised I was going to have to pay high fees as well! So glad you bought too much stuff on ebay too.
I find it a bit worrying, as well, all this feedback business. I'm currently fretting because the transsexual guy hasn't left any feedback yet saying I'm a good person. And I don't want to pester him too much about it in case he gets annoyed with me and leaves bad feedback. It's sort of like early dating in my teens. Scared to say or do the wrong thing, not knowing the rules. Love from scones x

The Topiary Cow said...

Feedback, the thing is, if they leave bad feedback for you, you can leave bad feedback on them. And nobody wants that.

You'll get the hang of it. But watch how much you actually end up with because after fees, you might be hardly making anything.

Moo!

Anonymous said...

Dear Scones

Have you left him feedback? I feel that the seller should leave the feedback first because the buyer has completed their side of the bargain, ie, paid for it (assuming he has now paid? If not, there's ways of getting him to pay).

Fondest regards

L

PS I know this is a bit random, but I'm a long time reader, first time commenter. You're the only blogger I keep up with on a regular basis and I thought it only polite to actually tell you I was here!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Miggins, how lovely of you to leave a comment! Sometimes I think that, since rude Anonymous left, it is just me and Topiary here (not that that isn't lovely in itself). Also, it's often so hard to get around to leaving posts (when people are looking over my shoulder at work a lot) that I wonder whether to go on with it.So it's really encouraging to hear from you.
Yes, feedback. I did spend a long time yesterday trying to work out if I'd got feedback yet or not, as I sent all the clothes off to the man over the weekend (he finally paid me)(oh, and he sent me an email saying they were for his wife).He must have got them by now, but he doesn't seem to have left any feedback about me, but maybe, as you say, the thing is to leave feedback saying he is completely wonderful in every way, and hope he returns the compliment. Love from scones xxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Scones

Yep, that's definitely your best bet. Leave him some feedback and I'm sure he'll leave you some in return. eBay is good, but takes some getting used to (I was a bag of nerves for my first purchase!).

I've been lurking away in the background for a while, and I probably should have spoken up before, but I felt a bit shy. Thank you so much for the warm welcome to your blog.

Fondest regards

L

scones with jam and cream said...

Thank you Miggins! It has taken me SO long to get up the nerve to sell on e-Bay, too, and your advice has really helped, Love scones xx