Tuesday 5 August 2008

Being Past It


I had a rather depressing weekend, which is why I haven’t been posting. But then it seems lots of other people are gloomy at the moment, too – like the Woo - possibly because this rotten weather makes any sadness worse.
Anyhoo, I went off to a family wedding which I’d been looking forward to for ages (Mirabelle came in a cat basket), and all the liveliest, wittiest, most gorgeous people at it were all around ten years younger than me. Obviously I wanted to be with them, but I’d been put on the boring table with the aunts with early-onset Alzheimer’s, the old farts who only wanted to talk about tall ships/ military campaigns/ the hatefulness of Labour etc. Well, I went over and sat with the fun ones after the speeches, anyway, and though they seemed pleased to see me, and I could join in all the crack, they still made me feel a little as if I, too, was not that interesting, Not one of the guys flirted with me – and, you know, one of them, Andrew, really did flirt with me a LOT at the last family do I went to. I just started to feel I’d completely lost it. I even got the feeling two cousins at the end of the table were sniggering at me and specifically my dress, like it was far too short or something.
Maybe I need to go to a family funeral where, hopefully, family octogenarians will flirt with me and make me feel better.
Oh, and at this wedding the bride let on the groom had proposed to her when they were naked in the shower. I can’t decide whether that’s romantic or not.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

O my.

Truth be told Cow does not look forward to weddings.

Cow is sure that Scones looked stylish and interesting and perhaps these shallow people just couldn't appreciate the charm of her personality.

Cow applauds Scones' initiative in changing to sit with the fun ones.

Cow recommends next wedding, Scones simply MUST hang out with the Topiary (usually found around the edges of any garden). WE are much nicer people and would NEVER talk about ships nor Labour.

Topiary is also completely unable to snigger.

We also have a great appreciation for shoes, dresses and baked goods!

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, yes, sitting out with the topiary sounds a much better idea. Usually, I'm fine. It's just when a whole TABLEFUL of people make you feel a bit dull and ridiculously-dressed you start to wonder if you are. But hearing from you has cheered me up. Love from scones x