Friday 1 August 2008

A Return Dinner


Jasmine says I should invite Michael to a party at my flat, as a thank-you for his (pointless and unnecessary) advice and slap-up restaurant meal. It either has to be a drinks party or a dinner-party, and a dinner party is loads cheaper. Obviously Jasmine has to come, and I thought Jo and Martyn would be good (especially as Jo says she’ll make a range of delicious puds). Rachel wants to come, and says she’ll bring her gay best friend, Pym. And Jasmine says she’ll find some presentable man to bring along. So I’ve just got to persuade Michael to come. I keep getting either his answering service, or his scarily efficient PA, and I don’t want to leave a message with either of them. Esp as it has to be a ‘Can you come this Friday, or next Friday, or the Friday after?’ pathetic kind of message.
I feel quite hopeful about this as I love cooking, and unlike Bridget Jones, am jolly good at it. I’m going to practice various dishes, trying them out on Rachel and getting her honest opinion. At the restaurant, Michael chose really stodgy English food: steak and kidney pie. And treacle tart. So I’ll do something like that. And I might buy a Cath Kidston apron, so he can see a softer, more domestic side to my character. Rache says I must serve really strong champagne cocktails to everyone the instant they arrive as there are three rules to follow if you want people to think you are a good cook:
1) get them plastered
2) serve small portions
3) only feed them when they are totally famished (and plastered)

4 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow must speak her mind.

Just Cow's humble thought that:

-no return gesture for dinner is required (he's rich, remember?)

-it seems desperate.

Cow would wait for him to call you. Just her opinion. Things may be done differently in England than in the Land of Topiary.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, you are right, of course. I'll put the dinner plan on ice, and do it much later. It's just that I like DOING something, and making plans, rather than sitting about waiting for busy people to ring me. (I am so, so glad I read your comment before I managedto get hold of Michael!) Love from scones xx

The Topiary Cow said...

Whew! Cow feels better, she was afraid she had spoken a bit too plainly.

(Cow wishing warm Topiary hug to Scones)

Cow's lessons learned the hard way:

-men either like you or they don't, stuff you do for them doesn't influence it

-if they like you they will find a way to get in touch

(Cow training small Topiary shrubs on the Ways of the World)

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, well, clearly, like a small topiary shrub, I need training in the ways of the world! love scones x