Friday 11 July 2008

The Glass is Half-Empty

The Private View was disappointing. The things we were viewing were – predictably - terrible photographs taken by a talentless madman. But on the plus side, there was good champagne. I never saw the artist. He wasn’t standing around looking arty and tortured the way they usually do.
As advised by Topiary, I’d gone for the Rene Russo look. I was getting my highlights done anyway, so I’d asked them to put my hair up in a French pleat, and I nipped home after and changed into a split tweed skirt, brown boots, and a rollneck sweater. It felt nice in the cool, rain-washed streets on the way to the view, but when Jasmine and I got there it became unbearable, because the room was so hot. I started sweating, my neck prickled, and even wearing my special sausage-skin knickers my skirt rode up ridiculously. Also, when I caught sight of myself reflected in one of the stupid photos I realised the pleat wasn’t flattering. I looked the way Anonymous always sees me: like a porky dominatrix (quite topical, really, considering the Mosley trial). The place had filled up to crush-point by the time Michael arrived. AND he had one of those awful, thin, hyper-groomed, ultra-chic women with him. The sort that make any average woman just want to curl up and die. She had incredible teeth, and tits that couldn’t be real, and she was gripping his arm and leaning in to him. (Well, more like bending down – she was jolly tall. It created a bizarre effect, like a mummy seeing her child off on his first day at school.) I don’t know if he saw me. Jasmine wanted me to go up and introduce myself etc, but I couldn’t bear to. Instead we slunk out. And had cocktails in a bar. So I suppose my last hope with Michael, now, is the magic spell on the 18th. If that doesn’t work I’m giving up.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Dearie me, dearie me.

Whoever this thin ultra-groomed woman was, Cow hates her.

Rats.

Well at least you didn't make a fool of yourself by going up to him.

Sorry about the outfit. Perhaps you did channel Rene though by being unattainable, mysterious and leaving before he did. Just too bad he didn't chase after you like in the moo-vie.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, well maybe it will be all right. I WAS mysterious.And that is exactly what you are supposed to be.Very cheering to hear you say this, love scones xx