Wednesday 9 July 2008

A Wordy Way to Slim


I read today (in the Telegraph, which I’ve been reading on and off since coming across it at Michael’s breakfast) that if you keep a food-diary and write down what you eat every day you lose twice as much as normal. So here’s yesterday’s food diary:
7.30, while hurrying to get dressed: black coffee, no milk as kitten wanted it.
8.20, Latte from Starbucks
9.0 disgusting non-coffee from office machine. Diet yoghourt I’d bought to work
10.0 Chocolate-time hazelnut meringues with double cream and strawberries. Strawberry smoothie.
I.pm Diet yoghourt
3.30 Chocolate - time ditto except had non-tea from machine (only the non-soup is worse) and no smoothie.
5.45 Reluctantly ate damp lettuce from sandwich box as had to work late. Squishy tomato also.
7.30. Faint and desperate with hunger. Came home to find nothing in fridge except catfood so had to go out shopping again. Whole supermarket suffused with smell of baking bread, also, warm, comforting odour of fresh pasties. Wolfed down pasty on bus.(This all made worse by supermarket till person handing me the pasty in its bag as I packed stuff, saying: ‘You’d better put this on top. You’ll be eating it on the way home.’ How did she know?) Got home and realised whole diet had gone down the drain for the day, also it was raining and I was wet, so made big bowl of pasta and shared bits with kitten. Two peaches.
9.30 Glass of wine. Suddenly felt incredibly happy so opened tin of salted almonds at back of cupboard, had two more glasses of wine as thirsty.
11pm wedge of brie to go with peach
11.30 Another peach as they were v good.
I’m not sure how writing this down will make me lose weight, but hope it does.

5 comments:

Clair said...

Here's my diet tip. Don't keep 'nice' food in the house. I don't any more, and I am too lazy to go shopping, so consequently I only have things like oatcakes, a bit of cheese, some bottles of pesto and a bit of fruit and veg in the kitchen. What doesn't make it into the shopping basket doesn't make it home, and doesn't make it onto you, either. Thirsty? Have a glass of water.

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Clair, you are absolutely right, and I will have to change my grocery shopping habits. It's just that... I want to lose my flab and be thin, and I'm quite good for days at eating fat-free yoghourts and salad, and then I'll suddenly get this thing about food. It's almost an erotic longing for it. Sensuous. It'll be so hard to give that up completely. Love scones x

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow would like one of those strawberry meringues please. Or failing that, the recipe!

Now, since she's written it down, that means she can still lose weight, right?

And PS Topiary likes Clair's analysis of certain anonymouses.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, I'll ask Jo for the recipe. They were much nicer than ordinary meringues. Chewier and tastier all round. Love scones x

Clair said...

I bet they had brown sugar in them instead of white. Always makes them more caramelly.