Monday 14 July 2008

The Yoga Class of Doom

Decided that the best way to lose weight was to do exercise, so joined a small locallish evening yoga class. The teacher was fifty-plus, with a cake-eating frame. ( I say this kindly, as a cake-eater myself). Quite a lot of her drooped, too.(So maybe she had only just started teaching. Which probably explains why her class wasn’t popular.) And her hair was dyed a peculiar mottled orange and cut to resemble Friar Tuck’s.
Anyhoo, she was extremely welcoming, and smily. Present were: four pensioners, a man with strangely dark,greasy clothes, who hid himself away at the back, as if worried that he smelled - and an Asian girl in a tracksuit, who constantly nipped into the corridor to talk to her husband on her mobile. To begin with, I was glad that the place was not bulging with beautiful over-muscled people in Spandex (or whatever the yoga equivalent is), but then the melancholy setting began to get to me. The pensioners and Asian girl seemed despondent; the greasy man was clearly severely depressed, and the yoga teacher, though she kept smiling, was obviously finding it hard to be upbeat. And then I began to notice strange under-currents. The teacher reserved a note of gentle, but persistent criticism for the Asian girl, ‘No, try a little harder, Lavali’. ’Did you hear what I said, Lavali? You’re not very good at that, are you?’ And she began making offish remarks to me, under the guise of being helpful. So she’d say: ‘Is that all right for your back?’ And I’d say ‘Fine!’ back, brightly. And then she’d say something like: ‘No osteoporosis, then?’ or ‘This one is especially good if you are going through the menopause.’ And she definitely wasn’t looking at anyone else when she said that. After an hour or so I was feeling pretty dismayed. Also, I hadn’t brought a mat, and the floor smelled gym-shoey. And then my hair and hands did. In fact, by the end I felt so terrible that it was a shock to look in a mirror and NOT see a bent-over crone, glowing from one final, post-menstrual flush.

7 comments:

Clair said...

Don't go back. I cannot bear being patronised by people that you are paying to instruct and help you. You deserve better.

Anonymous said...

Look Porkster, I fail to understand why you don’t get the hint- everyone who encounters you thinks you are a fat, middle aged loser who eats far too much cake.

The Topiary Cow said...

(Cow cheerfully strangling anonymous with stray yoga mat and Topiary)

Cow sees why no one goes to this class. It is the height of rudeness for someone you are paying to criticize you.

(Cow recommending once again that scones change the settings on the blog to disallow anonymous comments)

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Clair, yes, well I doubt I shall go back. These people that take you down (or me down, rather) are like a terrible mutant race in a superhero film. They pop up everywhere, and it's a constant struggle to defeat them (I've just been watching 'Jumper' on video.) Thanks so much for commenting, love scones x
Dear anonymous, just because lots of people say something doesn't NECESSARILY mean it's true, you know. Think of all the people who believe in flying-saucer men.And the Loch Ness Monster I rest my case.Love scones
Dear topiary, lovely to hear from you again. Yes, I can't imagine many people sticking with that class. The yoga woman is probably puzzled why she's so unpopular. As for Anonymous, I suppose it feels wimpy to disallow comments. All the enjoyably funny men's blogs, like BPP don't. So I'm trying to be the same. Love scones x

The Topiary Cow said...

Okay, Cow now understands. It's all about the "cool" factor. (Cow unwinding strangling Topiary from anon and mercifully letting him live after all)

Also, Cow thinks that yoga isn't really exercise that would make you lose weight, it's more like stretches. Cow thinks brisk walking around the neighborhood, as long as stops in pastry shops are avoided, are probably more weight-loss-inducing.

But then what does she know, she's just a Topiary Cow.

Moo!

Anonymous said...

Oi Porkoid when are we getting your next crappy blog entry?

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, yes you are quite right that yoga isn't really exercise at all, is it? Just very slow stretching (and then a lot of lying down at the end being told to relax and imagine the universe streaming out of your fingers). Really, I doubt it uses up the calories of even one chocolate hobnob. Love scones x
Dear Anonymous, how lovely that you are eagerly looking forward to my blogs! Love scones x