Tuesday 22 July 2008

A Smoked Oyster Spell


Well, it has been incredibly difficult to write this blog recently because the boss’s daughter is here on work experience, at a desk near mine, and keeps spying on what I’m doing, and no doubt reporting back to darling Papa on how hard I work, how frequently I take cake-breaks etc. So I’m having to be a total saint, and I can only quickly look at other people’s blogs whenever she goes to the loo. But I’m working late tonight – to make a point about how totally indispensable I am - and she isn’t around.
Anyhoo: the special romantic spell. On Friday night I had everything ready: a range of aphrodisiacs – watermelon, tinned oysters (there isn’t an r in the month) and chocolate. I’d also found some dark blue candles and some red chalk. I waited until 11p.m., and then drew a circle on the floor of my sitting room, under the window, lit the candles, and sat there in my best underwear, trying to think romantic, erotic thoughts about the mystery new man I wanted in my life. The moon was clearly visible through my window, and the whole thing would have been quite shiveringly spooky, if the kitten hadn’t kept jumping on me and going on about how she wanted a snack. (But then, of course, a cat is an aoppropriately witchy thing to have around, if you happen to be doing a spell.)
Just before midnight I opened the oysters (getting cottonseed oil all over my new bra). They were disgusting. And didn’t go particularly well with the watermelon or the chocolate. They also made the kitten more bothersome and intrusive. It was almost impossible to actually think deeply about the spell etc. But I did my best, and tried to conjure up an attractive male face and so on, but, annoyingly, I kept seeing Glenn. Isn’t that weird? Particularly as I’m so relieved he isn’t pestering me any more.
I went to bed feeling disappointed and rather queasy, and woke suddenly in the night to find the kitten eating a smoked oyster (complete with oil) in my hair.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

O mi goodness!

First, Cow would like to say how pleased she is to see dear Scones back. Had been wondering.

Second, Cow would like to quell her own queasy feeling at seeing these oysters and express her admiration for Scones carrying out this ritual.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, how lovely that you missed me! Well, you know how it is - it was just impossible to write this blog at all, and then when I did have the chance (towards the end of last week) I found I'd got out of the habit and wasn't really up to it.
Smoked oysters are vile, and I couldn't eat them. So I'm sure just watermelon and chocolate would do. Love from scones xx