Monday 3 November 2008

Everything With Plums



Well, I’m back at work now, and the weekend all seems even MORE dreamlike. The place we went to was called The Grove. It says on its headed notepaper that it is ‘one of the leading hotels of the world’. Well, it just made me long to be rich. For ever.
When I woke on Saturday Michael was sitting up in bed in a bathrobe, all washed and shaved, tapping away at his laptop. I immediately ran to the bathroom for a long session of using all the complimentary soaps and stuff. And redoing my makeup. When I came out he said we had to rush off to breakfast at once as he had a session booked for me in the Spa.
That Spa! I could happily live in it. I felt a bit full of breakfast when I went in (I was down as ‘Miss Danielle Mazzini’ which was odd, and everyone kept addressing me as ‘Danielle’, which I went along with quite happily. Why not?) I lay in the jacuzzi, I had a sauna, and I half-heartedly did aquarobics with a load of other women (Whose pasty, elderly husbands were lying on beds round the pool, reading newspapers.) The women were obviously first wives, because they were all middle-aged, and quite worn, but with lovely, expensive hair. They were – and this was so comforting – mostly stouter than me. Well, very slightly. I’d been so scared they’d all be supermodels or trophy yummy mummies. After an hour I started a series of insanely expensive treatments intended for Danielle, like mud wraps and facials and foot massages. I was treated as if I was a very precious object – a designer handbag, maybe – and polished and wrapped reverently. Showers were run for me, and I was told not to go to the trouble of picking up my knickers, because of course they would do that. It was amazing. In between I lay in a darkened relaxation room, drinking ginger tea and listening to a tape of goat-herds tinkling bells by the sea.
I finally left about 5, feeling all pink and beautiful and massaged and creamed and de-toxified. Michael had told me I could go anywhere in the hotel and grounds and just have anything to eat or drink I wanted, all I had to do was give my room number and sign my name. (I gave Danielle’s, to avoid confusion.) Wow! It was so great! I had a special detoxifying smoothie, just to round up any last remaining toxins, followed by salad and champagne in the Stables restaurant. (The place has lots of restaurants, all with annoying names.)(If you decide not to have a sweet there, to be slimming, and just order coffee, it comes with a chocolate brownie on the side. Or a ritzy chocolate.) Then I wandered back up to the room, all the staff smiling and greeting me and asking if there was anything they could do for me? I spent ages trying to look incredible. I just wished I’d been able to pack properly, as I’d chosen quite stupid stuff, the way you do, if you are in a hurry. My shoes didn’t really match my long black silk dress with the bow on it. And the dress was a bit tight, despite all the saunas. It looked sausagey.
And finally Michael came back, as I was watching the widescreen TV, lounging on the bed nibbling on the contents of the mini-bar – and we made love. He was very kind. And seemed rather sad. But it was sort of disappointing. He asked me if I wanted to go to the restaurant or have room service, and we settled for room-service, so we could stay in bed. (Caviare, fois gras, lobster and plums. Practically everything on the menu came with plums or plum coulis, it was really hard to avoid them. (There was even a plum on the bedside table, in a stylish, Tate Modern fruit bowl.) The rest of the weekend was a blur of saunaing, and de-toxifying, and having golfing lessons from the golf teacher, and lying in the huge bed feeling incredibly grateful to Michael, and wanting to make him happy, but…well… failing. It’s never really happened to me like that before. Sometimes he actually looked like he was crying. And I wanted to make this good for him, but it seemed that I couldn’t.
Anyhoo, last night he dropped me and Mirabelle back at my flat, and the place seemed so, so shabby and dirty and cheap compared to the hotel. Even the bedclothes. The sheets were really heavy at The Grove, and smelled of some delicious, light perfume…

4 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Oh gosh.

Well cool about the pampering. Too bad about his sadness and lack of good sex.

Maybe his personality and money will make up for it?

Cow wants to know:
What did HE do all day while you were in the spa?

Did he say anything about seeing you again when he dropped off?

Do you think it's his business, is he in trouble there?

Isn't it flattering though that he asked you to come and you could stay at such a smashing place?

(Cow going off to seek out plums and champagne)

Cow thinks, don't worry. Maybe this will all come out all right, and even if not, what a weekend! wowza!

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, you are so right - who cares what Michael's motives were,why he asked me, if I'll see him again etc? It was worth it. As for what he did... I know he was in the Spa because he was all pink and smelled of their lotions. (There is a male spa and a female spa, quite separate from each other, or at least I never worked out how to visit. It was sort of a warren of rooms, and separate entrances... I don't really know howw those huisbands got in the swimming pool. Which, incidentally, had black, salty water.
And I saw him playing golf in the far distance with a group of other guys at one point. And he kept reading papers (especially The Financial Times) and doing stuff on his laptop. But it was the same for all the couples there - they only seemed to meet up in the evenings and for breakfast. It's sort of a place rich businessmen go to make their wives happy while they play golf. Or at least that's what it seemed like.
I definitely thought he was in trouble financially. He seemed so depressed and worried.
He didn't say anything about seeing me again.Sigh. Love from scones xx

The Topiary Cow said...

Wow. "a place rich businessmen go to make their wives happy while they play golf"

This is so interesting, and something that Cow, in her humble dating experiences, never had.

So, perhaps financially things will look up and he'll call, but if not, at least you had the time of your life for a weekend! Wow!

Cow was bowled over by this place on the web. Sigh for living the rich life. Ah.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, it was an amazing gflimpse of an alternative life. And the wives weren't that pretty or well-preserved or anything. They were just normal-looking women who had been clever enough to marry men that went on to be rich.And lots of them were Asian/Greek-looking.I've heard since that Catherine Zeta Jones goes there when she's in London, too. Love scones xxx