Tuesday 11 November 2008

Gout, and Reproachful Cats



Oh well, I spent the evening with Rachel and feel much better about everything. After all, the thing I caught is very easily cured, nothing really. And the weekend was still worth it, a brilliant glimpse of another world. And now I know it really isn’t for me, that life. (Also, the food at that hotel gave me terrible indigestion. It was all really perfect,tender prime meat, no vegetables to speak of, lots of alcohol, and divine puddings. Sort of guaranteed to give you gout.) (And wind. I was really glad I was alone for the first few hours after I returned home. Mirabelle kept looking at me reproachfully.)
Rachel thought that Michael looked a bit odd, too. ‘Supposing he WASN’T rich,’ she said. ‘And you were walking down the street with him. Wouldn’t you feel the teensiest bit ashamed?’ This is always Rachel’s test of whether a guy is right or not: whether you feel the slightest twinge of shame or unease to be seen in their company. Trouble is, it is such a hard test for men to pass, really.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

"Trouble is, it is such a hard test for men to pass, really."

Ha!

Cow thinks too that if a man will actually walk someplace with you is a good test.

Because so many men walk ahead, or behind, or stop suddenly, or won't link arms, or just will never, ever walk anywhere. And Cow thinks this shows they are commitment-phobic. It's her new test.

Cow is glad Scones feels better. A glittering world, indeed. Cow felt privileged to get a glimpse through Scones, also.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, yes, I feel a lot better. Maybe you are right, too, and I should be grateful Michael wanted to walk around with me, at all.I suppose he didn't seem to be commitment-phobic, at least. (Apart from never ever ringing me up, that is.) Love from scones xx