Wednesday 12 November 2008

Fat Cats and Apple Turnovers



Ways I am economising in the Squeeze:
1) Cheap catfood for Mirabelle. This also ensures she does not become overweight, making me liable for fine of £20,000 (according to new laws about pets).
2) Take sandwiches to work instead of going to prĂȘt. This is NOT enjoyable at all, as now I either have a high-stress early-morning sandwich-making moment, or stale, damp sandwiches made the night before.(Why do they go damp?)
3) Have started going to Sainsbury once a week. and haunting the marked-down section at the magic hour of 7.30. Moneysavingexpert said this was the thing to do. But it is psychologically quite depressing as you have to hang around a lot and people look at you suspiciously. And the ticketing people grow to loathe you.It’s doubtful whether a few packs of chicken-breasts for 60p are worth this grief. Also, strange trampy types start talking to you. A v smelly man with missing teeth has started turning up at the same time and coming over eagerly to chat to me as a ‘fellow-scrimper’ Last night he told me that his best find was when they marked-down the apple turnovers to 1p a packet. There were 200 packets on offer so he triumphantly bought all of them. For £2. He is so proud of this story, but who would want 200 stale apple turnovers? Except a madman?

4 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow feels your pain.

Cow makes sandwiches night before but has taken to bringing the filling in one bag and the bread in another, because of the "soggy" factor.

As for the apple turnover man, Cow thinks this must be evidence that Scones is quite remarkably lovely, for in all her hours of shopping, Cow doesn't believe a fellow shopper has ever looked at her twice.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Well, that is very kind of you, Topiary. I'm sure I don't look lovely all the time. Sometimes I seem to be sort of invisible in supermarkets, and then some days everyone smiles at me and talks to me. I can't work out why this is.Love scones xx

scones with jam and cream said...

Oh, and that's a good tip about the sandwiches. I'll try it. Love scones xx

The Topiary Cow said...

:)