Tuesday 20 May 2008

Decisions, decisions

It’s very hard making decisions, especially when you get no sleep, because a kitten is biting your face all night, or burrowing under the duvet to claw at your feet.
J just will not stop telling me that I made a mistake about Glenn.
‘You’ve got him wrong,’ she said in the Ladies this morning. ‘He only drank that night because he was so stressed out about meeting you. And he thought you were great. Gorgeous, he said.’
‘Why would he wear that shirt if he wasn’t an alkie?’
‘What shirt?’
‘The one about cognac ergo sum. I drink therefore I am.’
‘Someone gave it him for Christmas. It’s a joke for Chist’s sake. And incidentally, are you OK?’
‘Why wouldn’t I be?’
‘Sue in Personnel wondered if you were self-harming.’
Bloody kitten. So I’ve agreed to see Glenn again. Hope I don’t regret it.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

"...‘He only drank that night because he was so stressed out about meeting you..."

In the entire history of lame, denial-filled excuses, this has to take the cake.

Not to mention the scones.

He only drank that night because of the (insert: job layoff, serious illness, unexpected emergency, holiday, visit of his mom).

Yup. He's got it covered.

As for this J person, with friends like this, you don't need enemies (setting you up with dates).

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary Cow, you are rihght, of course. Wish I'd taken your advice. But, you see, I am so desperate to meet the right man before it is too late. And everyone says you shouldn't really go by the first date, because people are often nervous and not like themselves. He IS good-looking. Though he has got those red thread-vein thingies starting on his nose. I will be more suspicious of J in future. Love from scones xx