Monday 13 October 2008

Strange Foods


On Sunday we had a Green Thai curry for lunch that Jacob made (he’s been having cookery lessons at school and got v enthusiastic about being a masterchef) We all felt strange afterwards, and I decided to go home early. I’m not sure it’s a terribly good idea teaching teenagers to cook. Who really wants to eat their stuff? I mean, you feel uneasy the whole time, especially when you look closely at their expression and see how little they are eating. (And remember how they like doing silly experiments.)
Anyhoo, it was a good thing I came home early as when I got in with Mirabelle in her basket I saw a note on the mat. I was just opening a tin of catmeat for her (Mirabelle lost her appetite while at my dad’s, oddly enough. But she was desperately hungry when we got home.) When I opened the note. It was from the landlord, giving me 24 hours notice of a flat-inspection. So I stuffed Mirabelle and her dish of catfood in her basket and just raced up the stairs to the Japanese girls, but they couldn’t have her, either, as THEY were having a flat inspection, too. So I raced downstairs again, shoved the dirt-box in a carrier-bag, and rushed out into the street with all my cat-related items, and luckily managed to get a cab and go to Rache’s. And she was in – it was so, so lucky. Then I had to rush back to the flat to be there when the landlord arrived.
It was Ok. The only sticky bit was when he looked round the kitchen and saw the opened cat-food tin on the counter. Fortunately it’s a top of the range pedigree variety and doesn’t REALLY look like cat-food. (Esp as the part of the tin with the cat’s face on was turned to the wall.) I spread some on a cracker and bit into it, and then hastily put the tin in the fridge. So either he thinks it was pate, or he thinks I’m a little eccentric. Or that I’m economising in a stupid way, due to the squeeze. And none of those are grounds for kicking someone out of a flat that they keep perfectly clean, are they?
I haven’t wanted to eat anything, since, though. I seem to have stumbled on the best conditions for dieting: get teenagers to cook for you, eat catfood, and practically DIE of panic and anxiety.

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Oh My. Scones is so brave.

Glad she found a safe hiding place for kitty. Sorry about the "pate" though.

erp.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, well, I really thought it might be the disaster fortold in those pesky cards - which I DO NOT believe in.
PS Mirabelle and Oskar got on very well indeed. They curled up together on the sofa in Rache's front room, and Oskar seemed v sad to see her go. Love from scones xx