Tuesday 24 June 2008

Autumn Wedding Envy



Jo came rushing in to work today, glowing with excitement, an engagement ring on her finger. She said she and Martyn are going to get married in September. It’s not a terribly good idea, of course. (See previous posts – esp ones listed ‘weird sex’.) But of course I said how wonderful!, And how exciting!
Somehow I don’t think Jo is going to be much use to the office from now on: she’s already started looking up wedding-dresses on the internet. On the plus side she said she was going to try out a whole range of different chocolate-cake recipes on us before she decides on the right one for the wedding. (It’s going to be chocolate, of course – with white frosting. And chocolate sauce on the side.) Oh, and I’m going to be a bridesmaid, because I was so kind to her when she fell out with Martyn, and also because she ‘doesn’t have that many friends’.
I do hope the bridesmaid dress won’t be
1) Too tight
2) Ridiculous, and lemon or mauve (Or all three).
3) Heavily frilled
4) Oh, and I’ve just discovered that ‘stressed’ is ‘desserts’ spelled backwards, which explains a lot about Jo, I think. And me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do always find the most lovely pictures to illustrate your blog entries, Scones!

I hope the bridesmaid's dress you wear is not too hideos either -- 22 years ago I was a hideous, fat, lumpy size 18 bridesmaid at a wedding in a dress that fulfills all (3) of your criteria -- it was lemon yellow taffeta with lilac accessories and ribbons and slightly tight, but what was worse was having to wear the size 18 version of the dress next to the other bridesmaid who was size 10 !!!!

Photographic evidence of this can be found on my blog entry "How did I get so fat?" as it was one of the photo's I used to illustrate how I have gotten fatter and fatter over the years.

The Topiary Cow said...

It's weird isn't it, that no matter how bad an idea it is for two people to get married, there is so much societal acclaim for it.

If only so many congratulations were in order for other things too, like NOT getting married, or NOT getting preggers...

Don't let her engagement make you feel bad, scones.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear goodbyetoallfat, it's amazing how many cake pictures there are to choose from. It seems like you can express almost any idea in cake form.
I think brides must deliberately choose frumpy dresses for bridesmaids. I hardly ever see any nice ones. I'll look up your pictures and tell you what I think, love from scones x
Dear Topiary, yes, even though it is kind of unlikely that Jo will be very happy with Martyn, and even though I'd really HATe to be marrying him myself I still feel so envious. And dislike myself for it. I really do. I'd like to surgically remove all those mean feelings. Because Weddings are lovely, aren't they? And it is such a nice thing, for a man to love a woman so much...thank you for your kind thoughts,love from a choked-up scones x

Anonymous said...

Dear scones
I agree with you about bridesmaids' dresses. A bridal shop near me has some spectacularly vile creations on display. A bride would have to be very insecure or truly hate her bridesmaid to make her wear one of those. Pride of place in the window this week is a shiny metallic pink strapless number covered in frills and ruffles. Quite eye-blistering. Don't let yourself be railroaded into wearing something truly awful - the marriage might not last, but the photographs will!
delores x