Tuesday 24 June 2008

Cocktails...

Felt I was so mean being unenthusiastic (and envious) about Jo’s engagement. So I took her out for a celebration cocktail after work, and told her how happy I was, and how I wished it was happening to me - and she burst into tears and said she knew it was all a dreadful mistake. But she so wants to be married and have children, and she feels time is running out. She said: ‘It’s going to take AT LEAST four years for me to get to this stage with anyone else, and if I waited until then I’d be forty-three and too old to have a baby, wouldn’t I?’ (Two years to find anyone worth going out with, a year to coax them into moving in together, a year to persuade them into popping the question.) She’s quite right. I’d do exactly the same if I was her. But isn’t it sad? Still, after countless cocktails we both discovered we were really looking forward to the wedding.
Got home a little fuzzily just now to find a note from the landlord pinned to my door. For a terrible moment I thought he’d discovered I was illegally keeping a kitten, but it turns out some nutter has been piling up rubbish behind the stairs in the basement and he wants them to stop doing it. Such a relief!

2 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

It was very nice of you to take her out.

But gack, "burst into tears and said she knew it was all a dreadful mistake..." aaaaaeeeeeiiiiii! Stop! Don't do it!

As for the four years, either y'all need to moooove someplace where there's more/better/different guys or date different ones where you're at. Four years is waaaaay too long.

Moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, I thought four years was fast, if you happen to be in that tricky 39-45 area, and not dazzlingly rich, thin - or beautiful. Is America an easier place to get married? Love scones x