Friday 13 June 2008

Walnut cake and Blissful Solitude



Well, Jo left this flat yesterday. She made it up with Martyn and he came and collected her, and it was very weird meeting him, when I knew so much intimate stuff. Like how annoying it is being on the pill with him – when it is hardly necessary – and how he’s more excited by a white stocking and suspender set than a black one, and how he howls like a wolf at good moments etc. Topiary told me that his problem is caused by drugs, but he’s told Jo that it is because he has issues with trust… So prostitutes are famously trustworthy, are they? Most men don’t seem to have trouble having sex with THEM.
I was all set to dislike Martyn because I’d been so angry with him all week to cheer up Jo , but he was a shy inoffensive sort. Very red cheeks, smells terribly strongly of soap, shoulders hunched. He seemed about half Jo’s size, but maybe that was just his personality.
And it is so blissful being free of Jo. She is an adorable person, but I did get tired of wiping up sugar-spills on the kitchen surfaces, of the mess of all the pillows and sheets on the sofa bed in the flat, of the way she was always in the bathroom when I wanted to be…
Mirabelle misses her, though. She got in the habit of sleeping on Jo’s trolley-suitcase And she also got keen on cake. I didn’t know cats ate cake. But they seem to like freshy-baked, still-warmVictoria sponge. There’s one good thing: I got Jo to try cooking things WITHOUT chocolate. So today she’s brought in walnut cake. With white frosting. It’s the best cake I’ve ever tried. But maybe her reconciliation with Martyn didn’t go that well, else otherwise why would she be making walnut cake at 5 a.m.?

5 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

That is the best-looking cake ever.

Topiary is glad scones has her place back, and thinks kitty can soon find another place to sit.

Caveat: Topiary doesn't know for sure this guy's problem. It could be something else. She was just speaking from her own experience, and would also like to agree with scones about the prostitutes and trust.

Topiary is doing a little dance of joy that scones has walnut cake and a place of her own with tidy pillows!

Hooray-moo!

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Topiary, I always think it is worth having people to stay for a bit too long, as it is always even more lovely then, when they go away. I'd forgotten how gorgeous it was just quietly having breakfast on my own. I like cleaning the flat and having it stay clean, too. Although I bought a toilet-toll 4-pack and while I was out the kitten had a fight with it, and the kitchen was just full of torn paper. I suppose the kitten must have won. Love scones x

The Topiary Cow said...

"I suppose the kitten must have won."

Heh.

Moo!

Anonymous said...

Dear Scones,

Just wanted to let you know that I have just quoted you in my latest blog, basically quoting some of the best comments from my readers.

I hope you don't mind but I was especially bowled over by readers such as yourself who made reference to my writing skills.

Your comment of 29 May 2008 now appears in my latest blog today:

http://goodbyetoallfat.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-my-readers-say.html

If you object to me using your comment in this self-publicising way, just let me know, either in a comment or e-mail and I will remove yours and leave the others.

Thanks + best wishes,
Sharon

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear goodbyetoallfat, that's fine, I don't mind you quoting me. Your blog IS good, love scones xx