Monday 30 June 2008

A Bright Tomatoey Future


I’m feeling a bit weird today because I’ve been eating tomato sandwiches all weekend. Rachel told me she had a friend who managed to lose three stone by eating only brown bread and tomato sandwiches. For two months. It’s a lot cheaper than LighterLife (esp as tomatoes are in season) and I happen to LIKE tomatoes. And brown bread. Rachel couldn’t remember what her friend drank with the sandwiches. Obviously she drank SOMETHING. So I’m going for water, green tea, and the odd gin-based cocktail.
Oh, and Michael invited me to a breakfast meeting Wednesday morning. I’d read in the Sunday papers that the thing to do if a man you are interested in gives you their card is to wait a week or so, and then ring them up breezily and say you’re going to be in their area and can you drop in for a brief coffee to ask them something. And so I did that. And he said – why not breakfast?
So now I’ve got to think what to ask him. (Because I didn’t think of a thing. In case he said No) Jo is not being very helpful. In fact she’s in a really giggly mood. She made rhum babas for chocolate-time and I think she must have seriously overdone the rum. She’s suggested:
1) How much money have you got? And
2) Would you like to get married again – soon?





29/pa1a10_tomato_sandwiches_e.jpg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not ask his advice about something? That gets men every time.

Mrs Pouncer said...

I simply cannot tell you how thrilled I am to see that someone has made a Rhum Baba! It is a confection that is strangely ignored in these frugal times, although my dear old mother had a marvellous cook who had trained under Herr Willy of Linz and I have kept her recipe all these years. Did you friend use yeast dough, do you know? I am agog.

scones with jam and cream said...

Dear Anonymous, of course that is what I should do. Thanks for the tip, love scones x
Dear Mrs Pouncer, yes they were real Rhum Babas, made with yeast. I'm getting quite worried about Jo, actually, because I suspect she has to get up at absurd hours of the morning to get her cakes finished by half past eight, when she leaves for work. On the plus side, Andrew from personnel has become very taken with her baking skills. Love from scones x